Monolith of Inhumanity is the sixth full-length studio album by American deathgrind band Cattle Decapitation, released on May 7, 2012. Upon its release, it was met with positive reviews praising the addition of melody into their sound.
Music videos were released for "Kingdom of Tyrants," "Forced Gender Reassignment," and "Your Disposal." A 7" single for "Your Disposal" was released in mid-2013. The B-side is "An Exposition of Insides," previously only available on the Japanese version of the album. The music video for "Forced Gender Reassignment" was written and directed by Mitch Massie. The full uncensored music video with violence, rape, and sexual assault can be available for viewing on the website Bloody Disgusting with permission from the band. A brief mention of the video outside of Bloody Disgusting can be seen on "Another Top 10 Controversial Music Videos" from WatchMojo.com at the #1 spot on YouTube.
Upon its release Monolith of Inhumanity generally received favorable reviews from critics. On Metacritic, it has been given a score of 79% based on 5 reviews.
Monolith of Inhumanity was well received by the public. On Rate Your Music the album has an average rating of 3.62 of 5, based on more than 600 ratings, and on Sputnikmusic the album has an "excellent" average rating of 4.0 of 5, based on more than 550 ratings.
The album also was voted the best album of 2012 by Metal Injection readers. On the MetalSucks series "The Best Metal Albums of 2012, As Chosen by Metal Musicians Themselves," Sven de Caluwé of Aborted, Richie Cavalera of Incite, David Davidson and Dan Gargiulo both of Revocation, Charles Elliott of Abysmal Dawn, Jeremy Wagner formerly of Broken Hope, John Vail formerly of Wretched, and Leon del Muerte of Murder Construct included Monolith of Inhumanity on their lists.
All lyrics written by Travis Ryan; all music composed by Cattle Decapitation.
|1.||"The Carbon Stampede"||3:39|
|2.||"Dead Set on Suicide"||3:18|
|3.||"A Living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat"||2:58|
|4.||"Forced Gender Reassignment"||3:54|
|8.||"Do Not Resuscitate"||3:18|
|11.||"Kingdom of Tyrants"||4:50|
|12.||"An Exposition of Insides"||3:36|
Writing, performance and production credits are adapted from the album liner notes.
- Travis Ryan – vocals, electronics, atmospherics, gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede", keyboard, drums on "The Monolith"
- Josh Elmore – guitar, gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- Derek Engemann – bass, additional vocals, gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede", additional guitar and keyboard on "The Monolith"
- Dave McGraw – drums, gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- Leonard Leal (Cephalic Carnage) – vocals on "A Living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat"
- Mike Majewski (Devourment) – vocals on "Projectile Ovulation"
- Cephalic Carnage:
- Leonard Leal – gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- Nick Schendzielos – gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- Steve Goldberg – gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- Brian Hopp – gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- John Merryman – gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- Zac Joe – gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- Jawsh Mullen – gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- Sean Perry – gang vocals on "The Carbon Stampede"
- John Wiese – electronics, atmospherics
Artwork and design
- Wes Benscoter – album artwork, photo editing
- Brian Ames – album layout
- Sam Lanthrem – photography
- Matthew Zinke – photography
- Travis Ryan – art direction, concept
- ^Staff writer(s); no by-line. "Cattle Decapitation Monolith of Inhumanity". www.metalblade.com. Metal Blade Records. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^ abcMonolith of Inhumanity at Metacritic
- ^"CATTLE DECAPITATION: 'Kingdom Of Tyrants' Video Released". Blabbermouth.net. April 24, 2012. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- ^wookubus (October 8, 2013). "Cattle Decapitation Celebrate Controversial "Forced Gender Reassignment" Video With New T-Shirt". Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- ^"CATTLE DECAPITATION: 'Your Disposal' Video Released". Blabbermouth.net. July 29, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- ^Staff writer(s); no by-line. (July 11, 2013). "CATTLE DECAPITATION to release "Your Disposal" 7" single". www.metalblade.com. Metal Blade Records. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^Marsicano, Dan. "Cattle Decapitation - Monolith Of Inhumanity Review". heavymetal.about.com. About.com. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^Monger, James Christopher. Monolith of Inhumanity - Cattle Decapitation at AllMusic
- ^Falzon, Denise (May 8, 2012). "Cattle Decapitation Monolith of Inhumanity". exclaim.ca. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^Fisher, Mark. "CATTLE DECAPITATION – Monolith Of Inhumanity (2012)". www.metalforcesmagazine.com. Metal Forces. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^Troy Killjoy (May 9, 2012). "Cattle Decapitation - Monolith Of Inhumanity review". www.metalstorm.net. Metal Storm. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^Hayes, Craig (August 7, 2012). "Cattle Decapitation: Monolith of Inhumanity". www.popmatters.com. PopMatters. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^Geist, Brandon (April 30, 2012). "Review: Cattle Decapitation – Monolith of Inhumanity". www.revolvermag.com. NewBay Media. Archived from the original on January 1, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^Fury, Jeanne (May 1, 2012). "Cattle Decapitation, Monolith of Inhumanity (Metal Blade)". www.spin.com. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^Ward, Kyle (May 2, 2012). "Review: Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity". www.sputnikmusic.com. Sputnikmusic. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- ^"Monolith of Inhumanity by Cattle Decapitation (Album, Deathgrind)". rateyourmusic.com. Sonemic. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- ^"Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity User Opinions". www.sputnikmusic.com. Sputnikmusic. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- ^Pasbani, Robert (December 28, 2012). "The Metal Injection Junkies Pick Their Top Albums of 2012". www.metalinjection.net. Metal Injection. Retrieved August 1, 2015.
- ^MetalSucks (December 5, 2012). "The Best Metal Albums of 2012, As Chosen by Metal Musicians Themselves — Part III". www.metalsucks.net. Metal Sucks. Retrieved August 1, 2015.
- ^MetalSucks (December 5, 2012). "The Best Metal Albums of 2012, As Chosen by Metal Musicians Themselves — Part IV". www.metalsucks.net. Metal Sucks. Retrieved August 1, 2015.
- ^MetalSucks (December 6, 2012). "The Best Metal Albums of 2012, As Chosen by Metal Musicians Themselves — Part V". www.metalsucks.net. Metal Sucks. Retrieved August 1, 2015.
- ^MetalSucks (December 7, 2012). "The Best Metal Albums of 2012, As Chosen by Metal Musicians Themselves — Part VII". www.metalsucks.net. Metal Sucks. Retrieved August 1, 2015.
- ^MetalSucks (December 7, 2012). "The Best Metal Albums of 2012, As Chosen by Metal Musicians Themselves — Part VIII". www.metalsucks.net. Metal Sucks. Retrieved August 1, 2015.
- ^Monolith of Inhumanity (liner notes). Cattle Decapitation. Metal Blade Records. 2012.
- ^"Cattle Decapitation Chart History (Independent Albums)". Billboard.
- ^"Cattle Decapitation Chart History (Top Hard Rock Albums)". Billboard.
- ^"Cattle Decapitation Chart History (Heatseekers Albums)". Billboard.
Okay, I’ve seen some bizarre, twisted, and downright fucked up music videos in my time. But there wasn’t really anything that could’ve prepared me for Cattle Decapitation‘s “Forced Gender Reassignment”. Let me put it like this: when a video is too intense for YouTube, it gets on Vimeo. That site will let almost anything slide. Nope. Vimeo flat out rejected it, wanting nothing to do with it. But we at Bloody-Disgusting are never ones to shy away from bringing you the most vile visual material out there. So we gladly accepted the opportunity to not only premiere this video for you all, but also to be the only site on the internet with the balls to host it.
So, if you’ve got the guts (and the stomach), you can watch this INCREDIBLY NSFW video below. But don’t say we didn’t warn you.
Also, do us a favor and record your reaction of the video and post the video link in the comments below!
“Forced Gender Reassignment” comes from Cattle Decapitation’s latest album Monolith Of Inhumanity (iTunes). The band also has a ton of tour dates coming up. You can see the schedule for all the shows below.
WARNING: The video you are about to watch is incredibly gory, violent, and features strong sexual violence including rape and sexual assault. Bloody-Disgusting does not endorse or condone any of the actions seen in this video. It is to be viewed as entertainment only.
“For the Forced Gender Reassignment video I wanted something mean and cruel and flat out disturbing. It seems nowadays you have to be over the top in your presentation to get anyone to think about anything anymore. The song is about taking certain religious sects and showing them what its like to be in another person’s shoes – someone whose life is simply different than theirs – but forcibly so, of course, or else it just wouldn’t be Cattle Decapitation. A band heavily steeped in irony, pessimism and fucking pain. There was no second choice – Mitch Massie was the only person for the job. He helped put our vision directly on the screen and we couldn’t be more happier and at the same time repulsed by the aftermath.”
“Travis threw down the gauntlet and asked for something based around the lyrics to this insane song. Of course I had to accept the challenge. Have free reign to create something that could piss people off, make family members hate me even more, potentially ruin my future with more delicate bands, and make a complete audio/visual ‘fuck you’ in the most unapologetic way? Hell yes, count me in. This time the lyrics had to be visualized realistically as opposed to metaphorically so an absolute-bat-shit-insane cast was needed. Truly, nothing is more life affirming or fun than to shoot a project full of violence, rape, and mutilation with a group who has no fear of anything. So much of this video is real that I’ve never laughed so much in my life while being seconds away from a trip to the emergency room every day. Caleb Schneider is a personal hero of mine for creating the ‘appliance’ and having enough faith in me to do it justice. Getting a box of dicks in the mail is a very special yet humbling moment in one’s life. It was no surprise that Travis had a difficult time finding a place to show this disgusting and very bloody project but it is amazing, ironic, and fitting that Bloody Disgusting decided to support it. I’m thankful all of our work can be heard and seen in the right place. I hope this isn’t the last time I get to do something this outrageous and awful. I would love to do a Taylor Swift video based on Story of the Eye.”
10/29 Denver, CO The Marquis Theatre
10/30 Kansas City, MO The Beaumont Club* w/ Gwar
10/31 St. Louis, MO Fubar
w/ Six Feet Under, Wretched
11/02 Richmond, VA Kingdom
11/03 Frederick, MD Cafe 611
11/04 Clifton, NJ Dingbatz
11/05 Boston, MA Middle East
11/06 New York, NY The Studio at Webster Hall
11/07 Buffalo, NY Club Infinity
11/08 Reading, PA Reverb
11/09 Amityville, NY Revolution
11/10 Dayton, OH McGuffy’s
11/12 St Paul, MN Station-4
11/13 Joliet, IL Mojoe’s
11/14 Lansing, MI Mac’s Bar
11/15 Peoria, IL The Brass Rail
11/16 Valparaiso, IN Roadie’s Music Venue
11/17 Louisville, KY Phoenix Hill Tavern
11/18 Atlanta, GA Masquerade
11/20 Trenton, NJ Backstage at Champs
11/21 Brooklyn, NY Saint Vitus Bar
11/23 Roanoke, VA Coffin House
w/ Dying Fetus, Cerebral Bore
11/25 West Columbia, SC New Brookland Tavern
11/27 Tampa, FL Brass Mug
11/29 Longview, TX The Levee
11/30 Houston, TX Warehouse Live
12/01 Corpus Christi, TX Zero’s
12/02 San Antonio, TX Korova
12/04 Dallas, TX Tree’s
12/05 El Paso, TX House Of Rock
12/06 Tempe, AZ Rocky Point
12/07 Hollywood, CA The Whisky
12/08 Fullerton, CA Slidebar (Matinee)
12/09 San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge
12/10 Stockton, CA Plea For Peace
12/11 Richland, WA Ray’s Golden Lion
12/12 Seattle, WA Studio 7
12/13 Boise, ID The Venue
Cattle Decapitation on-line:
Got any thoughts/questions/concerns for Jonathan Barkan? Shoot him a message on Twitter or on Bloody-Disgusting!
Cattle DecapitationCerebral Boredying fetusforced gender reassignmentmitch massieMonolith Of InhumanityNSFWSix Feet Underwretched