8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course
$35.00 per person
There are no prerequisites to attend this course.
Training Requirements for 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course
The 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course for Security Guards is a requirement for all individuals seeking employment as security guards in New York State. For additional information on security guard qualifications and the licensing process, click here.
Individuals seeking employment as Security Guards in New York State.
This general introductory course is the initial training required for individuals seeking to obtain a Security Guard Registration Card, and ultimately become employed as security guards in NY State. This 8-hour course provides students with a general overview of the duties and responsibilities of a security guard. Topics include the role of the security guard, legal powers and limitations, emergency situations, and access control.
Students are required to complete 100% of the course and actively participate in all learning activities. To successfully complete this training and obtain a course completion certificate students must obtain a score of 70% or higher on the final exam. Upon successful completion of the 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course, you will receive a certificate of completion that must accompany your registration application when submitted to the Department of State.
Make-up time is not permitted for this training course. Should the student miss any portion of the training, it is the student’s responsibility to contact TSCTA to arrange to attend another scheduled event.
Read TSCTA’s full attendance and make-up time policies here.
What you need to bring with you:
- A picture ID (Must be either government issued or school issued)
- Your Social Security Number
- Payment (cash, credit card, money order ONLY)
- No. 2 pencil and notebook
Eight Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course for Security Guards
FREE SECURITY APPLICATION
FREE APPLICATION ASSISTANCE
FREE LIST OF SECURITY COMPANIES
FREE NOTARY PUBLIC SERVICES
FREE LIST OF FINGERPRINTING LOCATIONS
FREE FAX SERVICES
FREE COPY SERVICES
FREE APPLICATION PACKAGE REVIEW SERVICES
Discussion of the basic elements of the functions of a security guard. This general introductory course must be successfully completed by individuals seeking a security guard position. The certificate of completion, along with the Employee Statement and Security Guard Application must be submitted to the NYS Department of State, Division of Licensing Services for approval to be employed in the security industry.
Total Cost to get a NYS Security Guard License
The total cost of acquiring a NYS Security Guard License through Radiant Training is $275.00, as follows:
- $140.00 to Radiant Training to cover the cost of the Eight Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course ($40.00) and the Sixteen Hour On-the-Job Training Course ($100.00).
- $36.00 to NYS Department of State to cover the cost of processing your security guard application.
- $99.00 to MorphoTrust USA to cover the cost of the fingerprints, criminal background check and NYS Department of Criminal Justice fees.
How to get a NYS Security Guard License
- Student attends the Eight Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course for Security Guards (see schedule below).
- Student passes a school exam consisting of 25 multiple-choice questions at the conclusion of the course. The passing grade is 70%.
- The school will issue the student a certificate indicating completion of the Eight Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course for Security Guards.
- Student then prepares a $36.00 payment to pay the NYS Department of State Division of Licensing Services to process the Employee Statement and Security Guard Application. This fee is NOT paid to Radiant Training & Consulting, LLC. You may print the application from the Security Forms section below.
- Student makes an appointment with MorphoTrust USA (IdentoGo), the company that administers fingerprinting services for NYS, by calling 877-472-6915. The Service Code is 1545R1. The current fee for the fingerprinting, FBI criminal background check and NYS Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) is $99.00. This fee is NOT paid to Radiant Training & Consulting, LLC.
- You then mail the (A) Employee Statement and Security Guard Application; (B) Radiant Eight Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course for Security Guards certificate; (C) One receipt for fingerprints given to you by MorphoTrust USA; and (D) $36.00 Money Order for the application processing fee. Once you have these four items, mail them to NYS Department of State, Division of Licensing Services, P.O. Box 22052, Albany, NY 12201-2052. Then wait to receive your NYS Security Guard License. It generally takes an average of three weeks for the license to reach your home.
- Student attends the Sixteen Hour On-the-Job Training Course for Security Guards within 90 days of their first security job or by the time the license expires. Licenses expire after two years. Click on the “Security 16 Hour” button on the menu for the schedule of classes. Student passes a school exam consisting of 25 multiple-choice questions at the conclusion of the course. The passing grade is 70%.
- Student attends the Eight Hour Annual In-Service Training Course for Security Guards EVERY year to maintain the license active. Click on the “Security 8-Hour Annual” button on the menu for the schedule of classes.
- Please contact us with any questions at 212-213-3434 or email@example.com.
To print the NYS Security Guard Manual please [click here].
Class Schedule (subject to change without notice)
Fridays from 9a to 5p in 2018
January 5 or January 12
February 2 or February 9
March 2 or March 9 or March 16
April 6 or April 3
May 4 or May 11
June 1 or June 8 or June 15
July 6 or July 13
August 3 or August 10 or August 17
September 7 or September 14
October 5 or October 12
November 2 or November 9 or November 16
December 7 or December 14
To register AND pay to reserve a seat with a debit, credit or charge card, please call 212-213-3434. We accept Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express and JCB. Please also call to confirm that classes have not sold out. Thank you.
You may also pay for this class by money order, corporate check, certified personal check, credit card, debit card, charge card or cash at the office IN PERSON.
Please arrive to class ON TIME as classes start promptly.
If you have any questions, please Contact Us.